Costs and Scholarship

EU students and exchange students with existing cooperation agreements pay no tuition fee to enroll at DHBW Heilbronn. Please note though that Junior Program participants make a €300 contribution to pay partial costs of study trips during the semester. This covers train tickets and other expenses for excursions (such as accommodation and guided tours in Berlin).

The budget necessary to finance your life in Heilbronn will depend very much on your accommodation and your lifestyle. We suggest budgeting for 720 Euros each month. This amount is similar to the financial support necessary for a successful non-European student visa application. Please find more information about accommodation here.

Please note that in the academic year 2017/18 the federal state of Baden-Wuerttemberg introduced tuition fees for non-EU students from universities without exchange agreements. If you are a free mover who is interested in participating in the Junior Program, please contact us for more information and exceptions to the rules.

Possibilities for a scholarships may vary from year to year. Please also contact the international office if you are interested in a scholarship. You may also enquire information about possible financial support at the international office of your home university (such as e.g. support by the ERASMUS+ Program for EU students).

Bank account

It can be useful to open a bank account in Germany to pay your rent, pay for your health insurance and withdraw money free of charge at any of your bank’s ATM machines. Before you travel to Heilbronn, please consult your bank at home to learn how to organize your finances remotely. If you wish to open a bank account in Germany, we will assist you in this matter during the orientation week.

Information for Non EU- Students: If you are eligible for a scholarship in Germany, you may also need to open a German bank account in order to receive scholarship payments. Note that in certain cases visa applicants may need to open a special type of bank account (blocked account) to demonstrate access to sufficient financial resources during studies at DHBW Heilbronn.

Visa, Residence Permit and Municipal

Registration Students from EU-Countries:

Students from the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and from some other countries may enter Germany and remain for more than 90 days for academic purposes. These students do not require a visa, however, they must register upon arrival with the municipal authority and provide a valid passport or ID card as documentation. We will assist you with this registration at city hall during the orientation week. Note for non-EU citizens: you may need to supply proof of financial support for the purposes of registration. If you are unsure about your residence permit status, please contact the Germany Embassy or the German Consulate General in your home country.

Students from Non-EU Countries:

German law requires that non-EU nationals apply for a Student Visa (Visum für Studienzwecke) and/or a resident permit. The requirements differ by country. Please contact the German Embassy or the German Consulate General in your home country to obtain correct information. The websites of the German Federal Office and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) are good sources of information regarding visa regulations.  Non-EU nationals must apply for student visas in their home countries. The German Embassy which issues your visa will send the visa application directly to the Alien Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) of the German town in which you wish to reside. Once you arrive in Germany, you must present your visa to the German Aliens Department where it will be converted into a residence permit for the purpose of studying. The International Office will assist you in this matter during the Orientation Week. Please make sure that you have all required documents with you when entering Germany.

Since the visa process can be lengthy, we recommend that you inform yourself about the entry regulations which apply for your country well in advance of the date when you wish to begin your academic studies. Do not enter Germany with a tourist visa, because you will not be able to convert it to a residence permit for studies, not even if you are in possession of the admission certificate to a German university. Students who enter with a tourist visa must return to their home countries before beginning their studies in Germany.

Note for all applicants: The International Office assists students with residence authorization, however, students should be reminded that they bear individual responsibility for the prompt and proper completion of the permit and visa process.

Health Insurance

Health Insurance is mandatory for those who wish to study in Germany. Students should obtain proper health insurance before traveling to Germany.

Students from EU-countries: As a student from an EU-country you can prove coverage of health insurance with the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). You must obtain the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from the relevant health authority in your home country prior to coming to Heilbronn. Your insurance company will usually issue the EHIC free of charge. Please send a scan of your EHIC with your application. With the EHIC you will be able to use most public facilities for healthcare (such as going to the doctor’s). Please note that insurance with EHIC may not cover all costs in Germany (especially with special services such as dental treatments this might be difficult). Therefore, an additional private health insurance may be useful besides the EHIC. If you can’t receive the EHIC you should buy coverage of a German Statutory Health Insurance like Students from Non-EU Countries.

Students from Non-EU Countries: Please note, that this following information applies only to Non-EU full time students who will be enrolled at DHBW Heilbronn for at least one semester (such as the Junior Program or one semester in German). If this is case, students from non-EU countries should join a German Statutory Health Insurance. This will cost about 95 euro monthly and you will be able to organize this already from home. We will send you further information soon after your application. The insurance is compulsory. Please contact us if you wish more detailed information before your application.

Travel Insurance and Personal liability

We recommend travel insurance and personal liability insurance for all students. Personal liability insurance covers cases of liability for injury or damage to other persons or their property. You are covered whether the negligence was yours or that of a family member. It does not cover damages caused by your car (you need automotive insurance for this), but it covers liability for damage caused, for example, when riding a bicycle or breaking a window. A travel insurance is especially necessary for non-European students, who plan to travel in other European countries.

Contact Junior Program

Prof. Dr. Ralph Scheubrein

Head of Junior Program of Business Administration

Office: B 3.22

E-Mail Tel 07131 1237-135

Ulrike Seliger

International Office Junior Program

Office: C 2.04

E-Mail Tel +49 7131 1237-265 03